As a reminder of all the moving responsibilities and to eliminate added stress, follow this moving checklist.
Six weeks before
- Decide which items will be moved.
- Contact Sheffield Moving & Storage to arrange for a free consultation from one of our knowledgeable specialists.
- Reserve the elevator of the apartment or condo building if this is applicable.
- Contact government agencies and utility related companies to notify them of the upcoming address change and arrange for disconnecting/reconnecting services. Remember to keep phones and utilities connected during moving day.
One month before
- Contact your Sheffield Moving Consultant to confirm the moving date.
- Plan a yard sale or make arrangements to donate and discard of unwanted items.
- If you are packing yourself, arrange for the delivery of Sheffield’s moving boxes, bins, and packing materials.
Two weeks before
- Map out a floor plan of your new home to assist your Sheffield team with the efficient placement of furniture.
- Properly dispose of hazardous or flammable materials.
- Arrange to have your electronics, major appliances, grandfather clocks and other fixtures disconnected and prepared for the move. Your Sheffield Moving Consultant can make arrangements for a third party to provide these services if needed.
- Arrange to receive keys for the new location as the moving day approaches.
The Day Before
- Defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Drain gas and oil from power equipment such as lawn mowers and snow blowers.
- Remove important documents, valuables, and irreplaceable items that you will be moving personally.
- Attach “do not remove” tags to items that will not be moved.
- Ensure all small and loose items have been fully packed into sealed moving boxes or bins.
- Confirm arrangements for child and pet care for moving day.
- If you are moving during the winter, ensure driveways and walkways are clear of ice and snow.
- Make sure that someone who is knowledgeable about the premise is on site and available at all times.
- For a long-distance move, obtain and check the inventory form.
- Do a final check of your home to ensure all items have been loaded. Check cupboards, closets, garages, yards, and crawl spaces.